Hits and Misses

Hits and Misses

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Blood on My Hands: A Shameless Self-Promotion

If you're a hunter, if you've ever wondered why on earth other people hunt, if you're at all concerned about animal rights or animal liberation, or if you're concerned about the destructive impact our species is having on the earth, you might want to read my book that will be available shortly from Amazon:  Blood on My Hands 

I came to write this book because of a hunting experience that shook me to the core.  Hunting by myself, I stalked and killed an antelope in Wyoming.  It was the first animal I'd ever shot.  After dressing it out, I looked at my watch to see what time it was.  My arms were so covered in blood that I couldn't read my watch.  Then I heard myself saying aloud, "I have blood on my hands!"  I had no idea what I meant, but I felt marked by this blood.  I kept thinking about that blood the rest of the day and I kept dreaming about it again and again that night.  When I woke up the next morning, I was certain about one thing:  I had to figure out what this blood meant.

Figuring it out completely took a good ten years.  This book is less an argument than the record of a process of discovery, a process I tried to indicate in the subtitle:  How Hunting Led Me to Question Our Relationship to Animals, Discover that DNA Unites Us All, and Realize that We Have to Expand Our Understanding of Ecology and Take Responsibility for the Earth.

Blood on My Hands differs from all previous books on hunting because it is the first to insist that hunting is a means to an end, achieving a larger, ecological consciousness.  It differs from all previous books on ecology because it is the first to insist on a conception of ecology that includes us within it.  Our species has become the most destructive one in the history of the earth, and we need to change how we think of ourselves in relation to the rest of life.  We need to start getting our home in order before it's too late.

If Blood on My Hands sounds interesting, check it out on Amazon: 

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-My-Hands-Question-Relationship/dp/1457522322/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406140994&sr=1-5&keywords=blood+on+my+hands


No comments:

Post a Comment